Defining Your Research Topic
Grade: ________ Name: ______________________
This assignment will assist you in learning how to pick a research topic, create a thesis statement, and develop a research strategy.
Topics (circle your choice)
Popular Music Genetic Engineering
Criminal Justice K-12 Education
Health Care Gender Issues
- Narrow the focus of the broad research topic you selected to a specific issue.
- Write down three questions about this topic that you would like to answer in your research paper.
- Select one (or combine a couple) of the questions above to develop your working thesis statement. Write down a WORKING THESIS STATEMENT. Your final thesis statement will probably change as you find out more about your topic. Remember, your thesis statement should summarize your main idea and present a point of view.
- From what perspective(s) would you approach the topic [humanistic (i.e., religious, ethical, philosophical, cultural), social scientific (i.e., political, economic, sociological, anthropological, legal), scientific (i.e., biological, medical)]?
- Take a look at the questions you wrote down above and your working thesis statement. Identify the main ideas and write them down as keywords.
- Locate two SUBJECT HEADINGS (from the Library of Congress Subject Heading books) on your topic. Write them down.